Thursday, May 22, 2014

Disnyeland 1972 Ticket Book

By: Nick

My wife's wonderful Aunt Sandy found a little treasure trove of Disneyana from several trips to Disneyland and Walt Disney World through the years. She sent them to us with a nice note saying she thought of me and my wife when she found them. Did I mention she's wonderful?

The first piece I'd like to share is a ticket book. Ticket books were used from July 18, 1955, the official opening day to the public, when there was a Main Gate admission price and each ride or attraction cost between 10¢ and 35¢ in cash. Disney introduced lettered tickets in October 1955, because people felt they were being "nickeled and dimed!"

The "D" tickets were added in 1956, and the famous "E" ticket was introduced in June 1959 after the opening of the Matterhorn, Monorail, and Submarine attractions. Lettered tickets were phased out in the early 80's in favor of the all inclusive admission pricing we have today.


It appears Aunt Sandy used all her "E" tickets.


It's interesting to see what value Disney deemed a ride to be, and to see the attractions that are no longer there.

Not many attractions were given the "B" status. The "A"s have also been used, but I can't really imagine what is below "Swiss Family Tree House" for excitement.


 


A checklist for all the attractions!


I'm not sure what general admission was, but $5.95 for 15 Adventures seems pretty reasonable to me!
Adjusting for inflation, that would be approximately $32 today.


We'll look at more Disneyana from Aunt Sandy in the future.

10 comments:

  1. what a great thing to have and how sweet she was to send it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Any chance you could give your aunt Sandy my address . . . :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow what a great Aunt! Love seeing these pieces of history. Thanks for sharing with us!

    ReplyDelete
  4. How neat! I had no idea they didn't always have the D and E tickets. I love seeing the old ticket books! And now you've got me wondering which attractions were on those A tickets too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From Yesterland:

      These were A ticket :

      Main Street Horse Cars (Main Street)
      Horseless Carriage (Main Street)
      Omnibus (Main Street)
      Fire Engine (Main Street)
      King Arthur Carousel (Fantasyland)
      Sleeping Beauty Castle (Fantasyland)
      Main Street Horse Cars (Main Street)
      Horseless Carriage (Main Street)
      Omnibus (Main Street)
      Fire Engine (Main Street)
      King Arthur Carousel (Fantasyland)
      Sleeping Beauty Castle (Fantasyland)

      Delete
  5. I'm surprised she didn't use them all! :) That's super cool that she sent them to you. Yes, I agree, what a wonderful Aunt! I recently received an old Walt Disney World book which had an A ticket left. Just holding onto the booklet made feel Disney history goosebumps! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait until I tell Aunt Sandy about all the love she's getting today! Thanks for stopping!

      Delete

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.