Thursday, August 21, 2014

Why You Should Make Those FastPass+ Choices at Walt Disney World ASAP

By Nick 

Last week, Barbie and I took a short vacation to the lovely state of New Hampshire to visit her equally lovely Aunt and Uncle.

In the back of my mind, somewhere, I knew that my window for FastPass+ selections for our October trip to Walt Disney World was coming up.

Our plans are:
October 11th, go to Epcot for a few hours to hit some Food and Wine booths and ride a couple rides. Relax at the pool.
October 12-16, 4 night Cruise on the Disney Dream
October 16th, back to WDW, spend the evening at Epcot
October 17th, Magic Kingdom, fly home

I had already gotten an email notification on August 11th telling me that my FastPass+ window was now open for October 11th.
I made my 3 selections for Epcot at that time, and made a mental note to be prepared on August 17th to make 3 selections for the Magic Kingdom.

What I should have done is set a notification on my phone reminding me the window for the second portion of our stay was coming up. Maybe put a note in my wallet. Asked Barbie to remind me. Something.

The morning of August 17th came, and I was preoccupied with a wonderful farewell breakfast made by the in-laws, packing and getting mentally prepared for the 7-8 hour drive home, and since I had not set a reminder of any kind, well, I didn't check my emails until we arrived home later that evening.

My 3 choices were to be the newest and most popular attractions : Meeting Anna and Elsa at Princess Fairytale Hall,  special Disney Festival of Fantasy Parade viewing, and the
Seven Dwarfs Mine Train.

Yep. By the time I went to make my selections, all 3 attractions/experiences I wanted to choose were gone, with this message appearing "FastPass+ Distribution Has Ended for Selected Day."



All is not lost, we will just get to the Magic Kingdom for rope drop and head right for the Seven Dwarfs Mine Train, and we'll hopefully get a good spot for the parade. Meeting Anna and Elsa will likely have to wait for a future visit.

So, this is a cautionary tale. As soon as your window for FastPass+ selections opens, be ready with your selections and pounce!


5 comments:

  1. I'm going in November. I haven't purchased my tickets yet to Disney World, although we will be there for a week. At this point I have my airline tickets and our Christmas passes. Are you saying that two months out, these selections can be made? We've been there many times through the years but it's been 1 1/2 years since our last visit so this is a new option to me. We live out of state. Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Dana, Using Disney’s website or the My Disney Experience app, guests staying at a Disney Resort Hotel can make FastPass+ reservations up to 60 days before their trips. Anyone else with park admission can book FastPass+ reservations up to 30 days in advance.

      Delete
  2. I was lackadaisical about booking my FP+ back in March and still managed to get most of what I wanted. I think that was because people were still learning they way around it.
    Next vacation, I will be booking right on time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I chose meeting Anna and Elsa at MK.
    Soarin' at Epcot.
    Toy Story Mania at HS.
    Nemo The Musical at AK.
    Since I was there for 8 full days I know I booked other FP+ but would have to get my journal out to remember! Little Mermaid ride comes to mind.

    I was glad to get the FP+ to meet Anna and Elsa, I would not have waited in a 5 hour line-up. I did make more FP+ once I had used the pre-booked ones.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.