Saturday, August 9, 2014

Disney Do It Yourself: Walt Disney World Rain Poncho Project

by Gaylin

I always bring an inexpensive rain poncho when I go to Walt Disney World and on my trip in 2007, I brought a cheap poncho that got all torn up just using it once. The weather meant buying a Disney rain poncho and when I went to put it on, the head hole was very small. I ended up having to tear it a bit to get it on. I must have been in a hurry because it didn't occur to me that I could have exchanged it for a new one.

Even though it was torn I brought it home with me because I had a DIY idea.

When I got home, I hit the local art store and bought canvas frame stretcher bars, 2 at 18" and 2 at 24". Brought them home, fitted them together and squared them up. I cut out as much of the back of the poncho as I could, I knew I needed extra plastic on the outside edges to fold them up for stapling because I wanted to frame it!

As a DIY project this was pretty easy. The frame bars are inexpensive, I used scissors, I own a staple gun and I had some picture wire to attach to it for hanging. The finished project was pretty nice!


Here is the back, since no one sees the back (except all of you) I wasn't worried about keeping my stapling tidy, I wanted the Mickey to be in the centre – that was the important part! I did roll and fold the plastic a couple times to make sure that when I stapled it, the plastic wouldn't tear. This hangs in my bathroom and I admit, I love it.


3 comments:

  1. That's adorable! Clever!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cleanable bathroom art! I was never comfortable with decorations in a bathroom that couldn't be cleaned.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a fabulous idea!! My husband's head never fits so we always end up with one ripped poncho! But I've been reusing the same one for years :-)!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.