Tuesday, August 5, 2014

Guardians of the Galaxy Mostly Spoiler Free Review

By Nick


I love Marvel movies. I've seen them all, and own most of them, but for some reason, I've never written a review for one on this blog. I am compelled to now. Why? Because Guardians of the Galaxy is my favorite Marvel movie to date.

Ever since we saw the first trailer introducing the team, my wife and I were super excited to see this film, even though I was not at all familiar with the characters or team, despite being a comic book collector from the age of 12 to my mid 30s. It looked hilarious. It certainly helped that one of our favorite actors, John C. Reilly, the voice of Wreck-It Ralph, featured prominently in the preview.
Then the following previews showcased the action and special effects, which looked great.

I stayed away from spoilers, but did pick up the Marvel's Guardians of the Galaxy Prelude paperback, which gave a back story to some the characters.

So, I was prepared to laugh and to see great effects, but what I wasn't prepared for was how emotionally attached I would become to this new group of heroes.

As the movie started we were immediately emotionally invested in the team leader Peter Quill, aka Star-Lord.

The movie then kicks into high gear, and the action and fun almost never let up. Sprinkled throughout are classic songs from the 70s and plenty of cultural 80s references. The writing is clever and the jokes are rapid fire, and I'm sure I missed a couple of lines because we, along with the rest of the audience were laughing so hard. There are also more emotional moments, yes, even tear jerking moments, which never become overly sentimental, because a lighter moment follows close behind.
There is not a dull moment or scene that goes on too long.

And if you are worried you won't be able to make a connection to a CGI  wise cracking, gun wielding raccoon and a walking tree, don't worry, their scenes pack some of the biggest emotional punches and biggest laughs.

As Barbie says, there are previews that promise a lot, but don't deliver. All of the best material are shown in those brief clips. This is certainly not the case with Guardians.

Stick around after the credits, it will reward true comic book history fans, as well as cheesy 80's movie lovers.

At the end, we were left wanting more. And the movie promises more, in fact, it tells us the Guardians will be back!

We can't wait!

3 comments:

  1. having never been into comic books, is this a great starter movie? i am somehow excited to see it

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you'd enjoy it even if you had no knowledge of the previous Marvel films, though they do add a bit of reference, Laurie.

      Delete
    2. Oh, you really don't need any background on the characters, Laurie! I didn't and I think this is the best Marvel movie yet!

      Delete

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.