Tuesday, April 12, 2016

Princess Half Marathon Weekend at Walt Disney World; Part: 6

By Nick

Part 6 : Tuesday, February 23rd

The last day of a Walt Disney World vacation is rough, as I'm sure you'll agree.

I was in a happy to be going home as I missed my wife and furkids, but sad to be leaving my happy place sort of haze when I walked out of Kidani Village and onto a bus bound for Disney's Animal Kingdom completely under the misconception that they were having extra magic hours, opening at 8am.

When I arrived and realized my mistake, I decided I'd attempt to have breakfast at Tusker House, which opened at 8. After a bit of fenagiling (a full account can be found here) I was eating breakfast with Donald Duck & Friends at Tusker!

I followed this with a ride on Kilimanjaro Safaris and then a walk through Maharajah Jungle Trek.

After riding Dinosaur I headed to Epcot to meet a long time Facebook friend, Rebecca, whom I had never actually gotten to meet, and her husband Mark.

We had shots at La Cava Del Tequila. Rebecca's first Tequila shot!

We took a walk around World Showcase before saying goodbye.

 I stopped off at Jambo House just in time to catch King Pin at Zawadi Marketplace. King pin is the ... well, King of Pins!

I had a late lunch at The Mara. The African Stew is made with Beef, Turkey, Ham, Carrots, Potatoes, Peas, Chickpeas, and Raisins served over Basmati Rice. It used to be served in a bread bowl, and prefer it as it is now with rice. And Zebra Domes! What is a Zebra Dome? An Amarula Cream Liquor mousse, surrounded by white chocolate with a chocolate drizzle and chocolate shavings on top of a thin cake base.

I walked back to Kidani Village and spent the last couple of hours before my Magical Express pick-up watching the animals from the outlooks off of the main lobby.

Now, I hate to end on a down note, so will just share this last bit as a cautionary tale.

I was schedule for a 530pm Magical Express pickup. I went out at 445, hoping to get an earlier bus. My flight was 815. I like to make sure I get to the airport in plenty of time so I can get something to eat and relax. Well, there was no earlier bus. At 545pm I started to get nervous. I mentioned to a person at the bell services desk that I had an 815 flight. He said if a bus didn't show by 6 they would call me a cab. A bus pulled up 5 minutes later. I asked the driver if I would get to the airport by 645. He asked what time my flight was and I told him 815. He said I would make it no problem.
He then proceeded to make 2 more stops. Now, I'm not saying he seemed to move to very slowly on purpose, or that he gave a long speech before leaving for the airport just because he appeared to be an obnoxious jerk, but...

We didn't get to the airport until 7. And the driver made sure to get almost everyone else's luggage out before mine. 

By the time I got through security it was 750pm. If my flight hadn't been delayed by 15 minutes, I wouldn't have had time to get anything to eat (as it was, I had to carry my food on), and in fact would not have made boarding in the A group, which I was in. 

My advise. Give yourself at least 3 1/2 hours before your flight. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.