Thursday, September 17, 2015

Throwback Thursday: Walt Disney World - October 2009 - Part 2

By Nick

Back in the day, my social media outlet was the DVC News Forums. I would write trip reports for each of our visits to Walt Disney World and Disneyland, and I'm sharing them here.
Some trip reports were more in depth than others, and this one is on the more descriptive side. Also, as this was a "live" trip report, I jump back in forth in time, making live comments and then going on to describe activities earlier in the day.
Any commentary I make will be in italics.

Part Two : Saturday 10/3/09
Part One can be found here.
Day 2 - 10/3 - 7AM

I am sold on this place. (Animal Kingdom Lodge)
Right now, there are 5 Ankole Cattle, 4 giraffes, 2 wildebeest just walked up, and a couple ostrich.



This is awesome.
I hear a clicking, and wonder what it is. A large animal walks on the savannah, and I look at the handy Wildlife Field Guide provided in the room, and see it as an Eland. The guide has behavior tips, and this tells me the Eland's knee tendons click when it walks!



2 giraffes were just rubbing necks, and an adult was pulling down a branch for a smaller one.

Just headed over to the savannah seating area. No animals.
Came back, and most of the animals were gone, except for a few zebra.
The feeding pens are being opened by CMs. I wonder if this room is considered standard for DVC rooms also, because I would absolutely request it.
Okay, off to Animal Kingdom!

Day 2 - 10/3 - 1PM

In the room, going to take a nap.

We went to the AK for a couple of hours. Made rope drop and had a slow walk over to
Everest. Then rode Dinosaur, and watched It's Tough to Be a Bug.



We hopped a bus back to AKL, and got off at Kidani Village. Very nice. Small lobby, but nicely decorated.



Not nearly as grand as Jambo House. We had 1250PM ressies for Sanaa, but at 1130, we walked up to the counter and were seated 5 minutes later.
We had a table on the savannah, looking across at the very feeding/ care area we see from our room!



We had the bread service, Naan, Roti and Paneer Paratha breads with the Cucumber Raita, Red Pepper Hummus, and Tamarind Chutney. All very good, we really enjoyed that. For the main course I had the sustainable fish which an Alaskan Halibut with veggies in a light curry broth. Wow, that was delicious.
DW had the Tomato and Paneer soup, with a side of basmati rice. She loved that as well.
We then walked back to Jambo. I had gotten info that the walk was from 3 miles to just about a mile, and anywhere 10 minutes to 30 minutes. It was a little over a quarter mile and took 6 minutes.

Day 2 - 10/3 - 345PM

Napped till 3. Looked out, no animals. Took a shower.
Came out an found DW (Disney Wife) watching nature's wonderland.





I am now thinking if we didn't get this room, or section, that we'd not be seeing nearly as much.
Tonight we are going to have dinner at Kona (at the Polynesian) with friends Pam, Tom, Kathy and Ron.

Day 2 - 10/3 - 1135PM

Back at the room.
DW and I went to the MK about 430. We went to the Exposition Hall to look for the mural of all the characters I've heard about.
Well, it is in what must be a CM only area, despite there not being any signs indicating this.
We walked through a queue of curtains, and came upon it. (This is now where the Mickey Mouse and Tinkerbell greet guests.)
I took a couple picks and we got out of there.



We then walked up to a CM and asked to see their pins. The CM said he had a special surprise for us, and told my DW to close her eyes.
He then motioned for me to get on my knees in front of her, and act like I was proposing. He put down a Lady and a Tramp stuffed animals in front, told DW to open her eyes, and took our picture with my camera. We also got pictures of him and another CM who was involved.





He also gave us Anniversary Buttons, and said it was surely the anniversary of something, which it is. 11 years ago, I asked Barbie, my DW, out for the 1st time.
After that we watched the Flag Retreat. If you haven't seen it, it is very moving. They lower the flag daily at 5.



We took the monorail over to the Poly, and walked around for a bit until the group arrived. We all talked in the lobby until it was time to check in at Kona.

Barbie, Ron, me, Pam, Kathy and Tom
Dinner was very good. I had the Pomegranate Pork Chop, Barbie the Shrimp and Scallops. I loved my meal, the fingerling potatoes and swiss chard were great.
After dinner, we caught most of Wishes from the pool area, then sat and talked for a couple hours longer.
We were going to get a cab back to the Lodge, but Pam and Tom insisted on driving us. They had a Volvo station wagon, and Ron hopped in the cargo area!



It was a great evening with great friends, and we will be seeing them again tomorrow.
Please stop back next week for part 3.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.