Friday, July 11, 2014

L'es Artisan de Glaces in Epcot's France Pavilion

by Gaylin

When I am in between Disney World trips, I keep up my reading and research online to know what is new in the World. Before this last trip I was quite happy to read about a new ice cream shop that had opened in the France Pavilion at Epcot.

The whole time I was on vacation in May of 2014, the weather was hot. 95F (37C) or hotter with the usual melt-your-brain humidity. My first visit to Epcot included a trip to L'Artisan des Glaces and I wasn't disappointed.


The shop is not very big and for some reason was not crowded any time I went in it. I visited 5 times (or was that 6) during my vacation! Having food allergies limits what treats I can have and when I read that L'Artisan had ice cream sandwiches made with macarons, I knew I would be trying one.


You can see from the display of ice cream there are 16 choices on any given day and they do change the flavours. The macaron ice cream sandwiches are on the bottom row, 3rd from the left. I was surprised by the size of them, as macaron cookies are usually quite a bit smaller. They cost $3.99 ($4.25 after tax) and were well worth it.


They are served in a piece of folded wax paper with french news stories on the outside. The sandwich was really good, macarons are usually quite sweet but this was not overly sugary and the ice cream had a nice dark chocolate flavour. I admit, I did have another one on a separate visit, for research sake, to make sure they really were that good . . .

There are tables outside the shop, turnover is quite quick, people are willing to share so finding a seat was not difficult any of the times of was there.


One of the other treats I had was a Cafe Glace, iced coffee with a scoop of ice cream. This was really yummy, I chose Caramel Fleur de Sel (salted caramel) ice cream and the combination was lovely. The other 3 times I went I had a single scoop of the Caramel ice cream in a cup, you can get cones as well. Again, $3.99 + tax.


I would highly recommend giving Artisan a try, the flavours were great, the staff was nice and the lack of crowd, no line-up whatsoever was awesome.

On a side note, because the marcaron was so good at Artisan, I decided to try a Mickey Macaron one day. Cute! Also grossly oversweet and almost flavourless. The filling was mildly lemon flavour, I admit this is the only time I have thrown out a treat at Disney without finishing it. If you have a sweet tooth, these are for you, if you don't just admire their cuteness in the display case and keep going!




4 comments:

  1. Oh I love my ice cream no matter how it comes - L'es Artisan de Glaces is awesome I agree, I haven't tried the macarons yet. Looks like I must return for more research..... Thanks for sharing and linking up with Favorite Food Friday!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I had tried other flavours of the ice cream but I love salted caramel and just couldn't resist having it . . . every time!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for your review! You mentioned you had food allergies and I was wondering if they happen to be nut allergies. My oldest son has peanut and tree nut allergies and I would love to do if the ice cream would be safe. We avoid the yummy bakery in France so it be great if we could eat at the ice cream shop. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am allergic to all grains (including rice) making snacking a challenge. The shop was very clean, I would guess that the kitchen is as well. Your son could NOT have the macaron ice cream sandwich, french macarons are made with almond flour. The CM's were very nice and I am sure they could let you know if their ice creams were nut free or not, if they have any ice creams with nuts in them, I am sure they would have one of the ice cream makers used separately from the others to keep things safe.
      I am sure you always check first before eating - just like I do!

      Delete

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.