Sunday, April 7, 2013

Flea Market Finds: Vintage Epcot Center Postcard

A few months ago, while my wife and I were in Walt Disney World, we did a Segway tour early one morning at Epcot. As we were staying at the Boardwalk Villas, we entered through the International Gateway, between France and the United Kingdom Pavilions in World Showcase. That part of the park was virtually empty, except for an occasional Cast Member.

So, as we had a little time, we stopped and took lots of pictures of the United Kingdom and Canada Pavilion.




So it was pretty neat when I found this postcard at the flea market recently. And even better that it was only $1, as it appears that these are hard to come by at such a reasonable price.
 


Sent in 1991, when Epcot was still EPCOT CENTER.

 

The message itself really has nothing to do with the park.
But the card caption makes me long to be back, enjoying the British fare, specifically the fish and chips, as well as a "pint of ale at the pub".

Some more pics of the empty UK pavilion.




The gardens are some of the loveliest in all the World here.


I hope to find more of these postcards, which I'll be sure to share here. 



Cheerio!

4 comments:

  1. I wonder what happened to the monument? There's a story there for sure! Awesome to find a postcard of what you had photographed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. According to research, that's a sundial, Dr.D. I am fairly sure it's still there. Our picture was taken from next to it, if memory serves.

      Delete
  2. I loved doing the Segway tour, seeing the World Showcase nearly empty is awesome. They were filming a commercial for Werther's at the Germany pavilions Karamel Kuche the last time I went - they wouldn't let us take photos.

    Don't you love how tall you feel on a Segway, I know I do!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.