Monday, March 30, 2015

Defending Walt Disney's Classic, Bambi

By Nick

Why am I writing an article defending my love of Bambi, a true Disney classic, and one of my favorite animated movies of all time? I'm asking myself that very question to be perfectly honest. I'm only too happy to do so, as it deserves praise, but I'm just shocked I have to.


If you've listened to Episode 11 of The Disney Exchange, (If you haven't, you should, it's great, but, really, they all are.) then please go ahead and do so, and then come on back here.

Back? Good, then you heard Dave and Lisa criticize my choice for favorite Disney film pre my birth year, Bambi.

Were you as surprised as me to hear it being described as "cheesy?"

I chose Bambi for a few reasons.

It was my first movie, or at least the first movie I remember clearly. I can picture very distinctly Bambi and Thumper's banter, Bambi's father telling him "Your mother can't be with you anymore,"  the forest fire, and Bambi's standing on a cliff with his father at the end. (Excuse me a moment, I need to compose myself. -sniff-)


Bambi is a very well balanced film of beauty and darkness, with happiness, sadness, laughter, and love.

It's beautifully animated. In the early 90's, I had the opportunity to work at an Animation Art Gallery in Philadelphia, Pa. I got to see some of the inspirational art by Tyrus Wong, as well as animation sketches and production work. I am, in fact, the proud owner of an animated sketch of Bambi, from the "twitterpated" sequence, and a Sericel of Thumper.



A lot of Tyrus' work, along with many works from other animation legends can be found in the excellent book "Walt Disney's Bambi, The Story and the Film" by Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston, two of Walt's "Nine Old Men."




Believe me, if I could afford it, I would have many more animated pieces from this wonderful movie.
I do have many collectibles around the home representing Bambi, however, such as several Walt Disney Classics Collection pieces.




What are your thoughts on Bambi? Please leave a comment telling why you enjoy it, or just tell Lisa and David they are wrong, either is fine.

This article was originally posted on The Disney Exchange, a blog and podcast which write and co-host with Lisa Green and David Hodges.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.