Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Disney Animation Collection: Vol. 1: Mickey and the Beanstalk

Sunday, while doing a search for Disney on Netflix streaming service, I discovered they have Disney Animation Collections Vol. 1-5 available! I actually have many of the cartoons available in these volumes on DVD, but the quality of the picture in HD is superb!

I watched Disney Animation Collection: Vol. 1: Mickey and the Beanstalk.

 
It starts off with Mickey and the Beanstalk, which was originally released  September 27, 1947 as part of the "package film" Fun and Fancy Free.  It was originally narrated by Edgar Bergen. The version in this collection is from Walt Disney's Wonderful World of Color, aired in 1963, and is narrated by Ludwig Von Drake. 

This is a retelling of Jack and the Beanstalk, with Mickey, Donald and Goofy going on an adventure.
The highlight of this, in my opinion, and what I remember being most amused of as a child, is the beanstalk growing scene. It's full of hilarious and imaginative gags with perfectly orchestrated music accompanying it.

Next up is my favorite Mickey Mouse cartoon, the 1938 masterpiece, The Brave Little Tailor. I've written about several of my collectables from this classic, and have many more to come. Past articles can be found by typing in "Brave Little Tailor" in the "Search This Blog" block to the right. I don't think I've ever seen it as beautifully as it is here in HD. Just stunning. I watched it twice in fact!

Then I was treated to an almost as wonderful, certainly in my top 5 Mickey Mouse cartoons, Thru the Mirror, from 1936. Mickey falls asleep while reading Alice In Wonderland, and has quite the dream!
Also included a black and white Mickey from 1934 Gulliver Mickey. Mickey tells a group of young orphan mice a fanciful tale.

Rounding out the set is Mr. Mouse Takes a Trip, from 1940, where Mickey and Pluto try to avoid train conductor Pete, and have many problems doing so! I'll be checking out the rest of these animated classics for sure!



3 comments:

  1. I don't have Netflix and this article makes me wish I did!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We started watching these with Henry...they are classic! I love that they are on Netflix...great to pop in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MMM bought this collection for me on DVD, and I absolutely love it! Though to be honest, I haven't watched them all yet...haha but if they're Mickey Mouse, then I love love love them!
    The only thing is I wish "Mickey and the Beanstalk" was the "Fun and Fancy Free" version -- I miss those puppets. But Von Drake is still pretty funny:)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.