Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Creating Disney Fridge Magnets

How to create custom Disney Fridge Magnets.

By: Shendl

I received a Map of Walt Disney World from my Disney Vacation Planner and I have had it on my fridge held on with fridge magnets. It worked but I couldn’t see the other side of the map featuring the different park maps.


I got to thinking about how I could create my own Fridge Magnet using the maps I already had.
Here is the process that I went through to create the Map Magnets.

    •    I took my map to my local Copy Centre and had both sides color copied to an A3 size (the maps I had were slightly larger than A3, so I had them reduced to the size I wanted)


    •    Once they had trimmed them and I was happy with the copies, I had them laminated individually to make sure that they stay nice and neat and do not get damaged.

    •    A trip to the craft store was necessary to purchase the Magnetic Tape to allow my maps to attach to my fridge.

    •    I purchased a 2m x 1.75mm roll of magnetic tape (the one side has peel off tape to allow it to stick)

    •    I cut the tape to the sizes that I wanted, removed the peel off tape and stuck it to the back of my laminated maps. (TIP: make sure the magnet has stuck properly onto the laminated map, otherwise you will have your map on the floor and your magnets still stuck to the fridge- I speak from experience on this!!)


I am so happy with how they turned out.


I still have my original map so if the copies get old then I can have new ones made.  You can do this with anything you want to have on your fridge.
Park Maps (the ones you collect inside the parks)
Postcards (you could have a few photocopied together and then laminated)
I live in South Africa so I am not sure what the costs would be in the US Stores but I can give you an idea what it cost me in South African Rands. – the Total amount I paid was R100, which works out to about $10 for the copies and laminating and the magnet strips.
Some Tips to help you along your way:
    •    Go to a Reputable copy store to have this done, you don’t want to pay for their mistakes if they copy the maps incorrectly.
    •    Put enough Magnet on the back of the finished maps ( I would say at least a 20 – 30 mm piece for each corner)

I really hope that you enjoyed this project

Thanks to Disney Musings Blog for asking me to write the article. It was a lot of fun!

Author: Shendl Rewitzky (East London, South Africa)

5 comments:

  1. What a great idea! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an awesome idea Shendl!!! Thank you so much for sharing. I think I may do this for my office :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shendl , that is such a great idea, and when I saw your final photo it gave me another idea! You could skip the magnets and use them as placemats too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes you could do that too Barbie!! You could take some thin cork board and stick it to the back for a non slip backing.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.