Monday, April 13, 2015

A Pirate's Adventure - Treasure of the Seven Seas Review

by Gaylin

When I was at WDW in May of 2014, I noticed the kiosk just past Pirates of the Caribbean (heading towards Frontierland), I asked what it was and was told it was a treasure quest for guests to go on. Since I was on my own and on a quest for ice cream, I didn't check it out further.

Fast forward to March 2015, I am at WDW again with my friend Tyler, we stopped at the kiosk and asked again what it was or what we did. After hearing the answer: it is a quest, 5 different maps that lead you to clues all over Adventureland to finally get to the treasure. I convinced Tyler we needed to do one maps worth of clues.

When you go in the kiosk, there is a scanner for your Magic Band. Once you scan the band, you are assigned a map. The maps themselves are really nice and it turns out the only 'treasure' you take home from this quest. Having scanned your band the screen shows you the first clue on your quest. You find the symbol of the clue on the map and go in search of it.


Once you find your clue, you press your Magic Band against it until it registers you and then magic happens! Without giving too much away, the clues move, talk, things open or close and once you have started on this quest, it is difficult to stop. We did all 5 maps! And the time flew, we forgot our tired feet and how hot it was out and how much walking we were actually doing going from clue to clue and then back to the kiosk for another map!

Some symbols are easy to notice, like the palm trees on this skull.


And the snake on this ??? what ever it is. 


You can see the symbol on this gun handle as well as the glowing clue on the right hand corner of the chest. I was astonished at how many of the clues glowed through solid items like this chest.


I admit, the creepy eyes that opened on this totem to give the next clue were pretty freaky!


And finally, the pronouncement that you have finished all the clues and are due the treasure. Sadly the 'treasure' is in a chest that we couldn't open.


I am sure a lot of people think of this as a way to keep boys entertained by something with no princesses but we had a great time. Would I do this again, even having done all 5 maps - a definite yes, it was a lot of fun. More than once during our quests, other guests noticed we were doing this and went off to start the quest themselves.

I was very impressed by the effort that went into this quest, so many clues, too many to show here, I took 40 photos during the quest. I would recommend doing this with another person, I would have found some of the clues without Tyler's help. We laughed a lot, were surprised more than once by the intricate responses that were involved in some of the clues. All in all, it was a great way to spend some time being a team, not worrying about line-ups or rides or what to do next, we just got another map and kept going!

Editor's Note: If you'd like to read more, guest writer Dan Haley also reviewed this attraction awhile back : http://disneymusings.blogspot.com/2013/12/a-pirates-adventure-treasures-of-seven.html

1 comment:

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.