Saturday, November 23, 2013

Doctor Who at Walt Disney World

By: Nick

Back in 2006, my friend Todd told me I should check out a show on BBC America called Doctor Who

Doctor Who

I watched that when I was a kid, sort of. I remembered some guy with a scarf running up and down hallways with a silver robot dog, over and over again, it seemed.

I didn't pay attention.

About a year later, flipping through the channels, my wife and I came upon BBC America, and Doctor Who. Nothing else was on, so we watched. Then another came on. Then a third. We were hooked.

VERY briefly, The Doctor is a Time Lord from the planet Gallifrey. He travels through time and space in his ship, the Tardis. He can regenerate his body when he is close to death. He is awesome.

I rented, then bought, all of the episodes since the show came back to the BBC in 2005 after a long hiatus. I started buying Doctor Who Magazine. I even started watching the old classic episodes from the 1960's-1980's, the TV Movie from 1996, and even listening to podcasts dedicated to what has become my favorite television show. 

Jump ahead to January 2013, and I'm at the United Kingdom Pavilion in Epcot's World Showcase, and I discover they are carrying Doctor Who merchandise! I only actually own a couple of things. A Tardis bank,  a few books, and a lovely Tardis mug that friends brought me all the way from Scotland (thank you again Catherine!).

I could go overboard buying, I could, but I already spend a large sum of money on Disney, and I have (a little) sense to focus.

On our most recent trip to Walt Disney World, we stopped in the UK, and discovered even more Doctor Who merch!


Tee-shirts,  posters, books, mugs, etc.


No doubt gearing up and taking advantage of the 50th Anniversary of Doctor Who, which just so happens to be today!


I did buy the Tardis tee-shirt pictured in the upper left hand corner of the picture below.


Happy 50th Doctor Who, and I hope there are many more to come!

1 comment:

  1. I don't remember the Dr. Who stuff from my last visit, then again, I can't remember if I went in the shop at the UK. You know I will be going there next trip! Happy Anniversary Dr Who!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.