Thursday, August 15, 2013

I Was King For a Day at Epcot

I Was King For a Day. Well, for about 10 minutes, anyway.

Have you ever had the urge to stand up in front of strangers and act? Have you ever had the urge to stand up in front of strangers and act foolish? Regardless of your answer, you can have this experience at Epcot!

While on a trip to Walt Disney World a couple of years ago, my wife and I were in Epcot, enjoying the sights, sounds, and smells of the United Kingdom Pavilion. We happened to walk up just as The World Showcase Players were setting up for another "King Arthur and the Holy Grail" show. For those who don't know, this is an audience participation and improvisational show, usually performed on the street in front of the Tea Caddy shop, across from the Rose and Crown. The players pluck members of the audience for the roles of Arthur, Sir Galahad and the Wicked Witch Pellum. The central character of course is King Arthur. For this role, someone charming, brave, and handsome is needed.

In other words, me.


While in this show, you can be boisterous, silly, and yes, foolish, or shy, reserved, and even embarrassed.


Go for it, have fun! You will very likely never see these people again.

 
After the show, I even received payment! An Honorary World Showcase Player button!


But the thing I'll treasure most is the memory of the fun I had, and the knowledge that I may have helped to make another visitor's park experience more enjoyable.

6 comments:

  1. I am so glad that you got picked for this! I know you are such a shy and reserved guy, nice to see you come out of your shell . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome story! If it had been me, I would have acted...I don't know, but TDM surely would have looked at me during it and said, "I don't know her." Lol she does that :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes I wonder if they keep a "Ringer" in the audience just in case they don't feel there is a good candidate for King available in the nearby Guests....The show is always really good, & I've never seen a terrible King. Not so great other guest actors, including once they pulled a woman to be the witch,who did not speak English and did not understand the story...Her friend ended up interpreting for her , which actually made it even more entertaining.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.