Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Keeping Time with Mickey

Guest Writer Wednesday

Keeping Time with Mickey!
By Gaylin:


Since I like my souvenirs to be mostly practical or usable, having Mickey Mouse watches seems like a great idea.

I have a few of them, but only keep a battery in one of them at a time. When the battery runs down, I pick a different watch and get a battery put in it and repeat about once a year or so.

The first one I got was on a quiet afternoon when we had gone over to Fort Wilderness for a bit of a break in the action. A lovely afternoon spent wandering around and of course, going in the shop. I picked this watch because I loved how big it is (it is a man's watch) and because it has all twelve numbers and it easy to read. Since it was my first watch, I wore it for a number of years before getting another one. The watch face is 1 3/4 inches across, very big on my skinny wrist but very easy for me and everyone else to see!


Next up is a pocket watch. This was ordered for me from the Disney Store online as a present and is just over 2 inches across and very heavy. I don't use it very often because of the weight and needing two hands to hold it and open it to tell the time.




This next watch was a add-on purchase at the store in the Contemporary Hotel. With a $40 or more purchase, the watch was $10. I thought it would be nice to have a Mickey watch specifically for Christmas so I got it.



This next watch I bought at the jewelry store on Sunset Boulevard in Hollywood Studios. I admit I used this one exclusively for a couple of years because it was so comfortable. The little button on the top right is where you press to make the face light up at night!


I recently received this watch as a gift. I have no idea where it came from or what it cost (most Disney watches are in the $25-$45 range, except the pocket watch, I know it was more). It was passed along to my sister to give to me. While there was no packaging, it had never been worn and the battery was dead. After replacing the battery I was pleased that it works just fine. The face of it glows in the dark but I had no idea how to take a photo of that! You can just barely see that one side of the band has Mickey Mouse pressed into the leather and the other side has a tiny Mickey pressed into it.


If you look closely you can see the reflection of my hands holding the camera in the shiny ears!!!
Ta ta for now!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.