Thursday, October 20, 2011

My Favorite Lunch

Disney's Animal Kingdom has a great restaurant called the Tusker House. It was at one time a quick service restaurant. I would look forward to our visits to that park because I knew we would stop at Tusker House for my favorite lunch, the vegetable pita sandwich. Heavenly!

Imagine my disappointment when my husband told me one year (2007) that the Tusker House would be changing it's format into a buffet restaurant and their menu would obviously be altered drastically. I thought to myself, nothing could be a good as that veggie pita! Nobody will make me change my mind, I refuse to like the new place: I can be ridiculous and stubborn at times.

I wrote to them letting them know how heartbroken I was, that if I couldn't have the vegetable pita sandwich there, then maybe they could send me the recipe and I could make it at home? Well, Disney is accommodating with reasonable requests if nothing else, and I was immediately e-mailed back with a friendly letter letting me know that I would love the new Tusker Buffet and the recipe I asked for. Here is the recipe.

Ingredients:
1/2 clove garlic minced
2 Tbsp olive oil
1 Tbsp lemon juice
1 medium tomato quartered and thinly sliced
1 small cucumber, halved, seeds removed, thinly sliced
1/4 red pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
1/4 green pepper, seeded, thinly sliced
6 kalamata olives, pits removed, chopped
1/4 tsp Kosher salt
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
2 oz fresh spinach
2 oz feta cheese, crumbled
Pita, sliced

Directions:
Mix garlic, lemon juice and olive oil together. Keep separate. In large bowl toss tomatoes, cucumbers, olives and peppers together. Season with salt and pepper, add garlic dressing and toss. Taste and adjust seasoning. Finish by tossing in spinach and feta. Stuff your pita pockets with the mix. Enjoy!

The Tusker House Buffet is a wonderful place to take your family and friends. The staff there is super friendly and even though I still mourn the loss of my lovely vegetable pita sandwich, Tusker is a great place to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.