Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Pocahontas


What I love most about rivers is
You can't step in the same river twice
The water's always changing, always flowing
But people, I guess, can't live like that
We all must pay a price
To be safe, we lose our chance of ever knowing
What's around the riverbend
Waiting just around the riverbend...


While photographing this little statue for the "Husband who Loves to Blog," I started dreaming about this song and I haven't been able to get it out of my mind for the past couple of days.

The figurine really made me wonder about how to photograph it properly, as if one were peering in on another's private moment. It made me dream about the lives it represents. Isn't that perhaps the main reason most of us love to collect in the first place?

And really, who doesn't want their own raccoon as a pet?

5 comments:

  1. I admit, I haven't seen Pocahontas so when I saw this figurine, my first thought was, What is the weird blue bag she is holding so awkwardly. Oops it's a raccoon . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaylin, I haven't seen the movie either, the story adaptation is not one of my favorites, but this particular figurine always captures my attention when I walk by in the morning. And the song is memorable to me; after all, you never know what's just beyond the riverbend...but it sure is fun to try and find out!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Meeko is one of the characters I collect, Gaylin.
    I have a lot of different Meeko items, which will be popping up over at Disleelandia!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pocahontas is from what I call Disney's 'Blah Period' which included Hercules, Hunchback, and Mulan. Adaptions that didn't quite hit the mark. But I agree that some of the character merchandise from these films is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee, I would tend to agree with you, and haven't seen these movies, except for snippets on TV. Their toys on the other hand, make up for what the movie lack. (Some would take offense to these statements and would highly disagree with us. You may know him!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your feedback. Comments will appear pending moderation.